dinsdag 2 maart 2010

Listening to the stream of the new Gorillaz album for the first time in one take, and how that might go

Just me listening to the Gorillaz stream on NPR and jotting down the first things that come to mind, so no in-depth review or actual insights here, if that's what you were expecting (which you were not if you read the title, but anyway...):

Streaming something in its entirety is nice, especially with no cuts and without the ability to skip tracks, a sure way for me to confuse tracks and find myself listening to track 7 whilst thinking it’s track 11. I’m feeling the critics’ anxiety already!

“The revolution will be televised”, he, how much of a Pulp nerd am I to actually contemplate this being a nod to the ending track of This Is Hardcore?

I’m not sure the line “rocking in a bubble bath” is directed at my demographic (a.k.a. skinny white city boys) I love the instrumentation though.

Spoken word > rap any time a day. Always remember that.

Kudos for the flute! Using a flute is wicked, always.

Blur = urban anxiety. Gorillaz = urban. Ali references = tiresome. Still loving the flute though.

Ah, the single, I know this one, and there’s no way to skip it! Oh the suspense for the plethora of unknown tracks still to come! Must.listen.new.tracks.always. Bobby Womack is not God, but from everyone on this album he comes closest to it. I would rate him somewhere between Saints and people actually name checked in the bible.

I think the superfast jellyfish literally deflated at the end! Poor superfast jellyfish.

I think this is a ballad, actually. And just when I’m typing this it turns up the volume, he, can’t a guy never catch a break, eh? I’m trying to be smart over here! Or is this a new song? Who knows, it’s a big lump, and its looking so purple! Loving the female vocals though.

Oe, hot cocoa!

Okay, back. And in time for ‘Glitter Freeze’, which I guess it is aptly named since it sounds like glam rock with an icegun being fired throughout it.

‘Some Kind of Nature’ is pretty poppy actually I would say. Mid-tempo, mellow bouncy stuff about someone liking mice. I don’t like mice. They’re too fast. I like fat, slow, and round animals.

Oh these synths sound promising! Very happy making, and that for a track called ‘Melancholy Hill’, guess it is more a medicine than that it is descriptive.

And after one of the more lucid songs suddenly some kind of aggressive sounding rap. After the initial shock the second part of ‘Sweepstakes’ isn’t too bad though.

Then again, maybe it is.

Is it wrong to find it mildly appropriate that the second female singer comes in during a song called ‘To Binge’?

Oh my God, I actually thought they put in a soundbite of a cow mooing until it transformed into a sentence! My mistake.

4 opmerkingen:

Linda zei

As a (former) flautist, I'm glad you like the flute bit. Too bad it actually isn't a flute bit. More of a piccolo bit and yes, that is a big difference, as big as the inner and outer lane in speed skating (I'm taking up any opportunity to make speed skating references nowadays).

And the superfast jellyfish had it coming. With being superfast and jellyfish and all.

Stef zei

Een fluit is een fluit is een fluit is een fluit. XD Nee, wat is het verschil, het is toch wel een soort van fluit nietwaar? Of vergis ik me gigantisch. :P

En arme superfast jellyfish (nogmaals)!

Linda zei

Ja, in principe is het wel een fluit, alleen dan maar de helft in lengte en een octaaf hoger. Maar toch duidelijk anders (tenminste, als je er 5 jaar lang op een wekelijkse basis naast hebt gezeten).

En Jellyfish are evil. Both SpongeBob Squarepants and Finding Nemo prove that.

Stef zei

Geavanceerde muziekles, wat er allemaal wel niet langskomt op deze site. ^^ Thx, ik persoonlijk wist het niet. XD

En arme superfast jellyfish!