maandag 1 maart 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Tightrope' by Janelle Monae feat. Big Boi

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Tightrope’ by Janelle Monae feat. Big Boi (listen here)
Average Grade: 6.6


Jon: Meaty beaty big and bouncy, Janelle Monae positively wails! Tightrope would get me on the dancefloor and that ain't something that happens very often.
8/10

Ilse: When I first listened to it, I knew this wasn’t my kind of music, but I wanted to try to be objective and perhaps judge it on relevance within its genre, try to discover something positive. Unfortunately, I failed. I hate this track so much, it makes me want to listen to bands like HEALTH, Black Dice, Crystal Castle and Pulled Apart By Horses, on full volume, until it makes my ears bleed.
1/10

Danielle: There's not really anything ground breaking or original about this track. At times the back-up singers are downright irritating. But I don't care about any of that. Every time I start this track, I can't help but dance like a fool, and that's all that really matters. I've already made plans to see her perform in 2 weeks. I can't wait to dance like a fool in public!
8.7/10

Linda: This is really not my kind of genre: I'm completely oblivious to the Beyoncé's of this world. But if there's one performer out there who really deserves the term 'artist', than it's this lady. Seeing her live was one of the most memorable gigs I have ever seen, though the word 'gig' doesn't do enough justice to her performance. For me, this song just proves again how talented this little dame is. And little she is, though she more than compensates for her shortness of stature in greatness in both voice and performance.
8/10

Anna: Contemporary funk soul, not bad at all, although far from being anything original. Big Boi's contribution blends in nicely with the tune. I'd like it more if her voice didn't become a bit screeching at times. I usually appreciate retro vibes in songs, but I'm not sure if I'd listen to this again.
6.0/10

Craig: Funky with an up-to-date vibe. A sound I've come to appreciate & expect from Big Boi a.k.a. Sir Lucious Leftfoot a.k.a. Daddy Fat Sacks. Points for the high energy & staying positive!
7/10

Stef: Oh, she’s really something, isn’t she? She’s got a good set of lungs, and I love the funky brass! To be honest, I don’t think this is her best track, perhaps because I just love that concept EP she did and its off-beat alien vibe so much. It is a tune nonetheless.
7.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: