maandag 15 maart 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Flash Delirium' by MGMT

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Flash Delirium’ by MGMT (listen here)
Average grade: 4.9


Ilse: After seeing them perform a horrible live set a couple of years ago, I wouldn't really deliberately listen to them again, but ultimately this was quite an enjoyable track. The funky psychedelic odyssey towards a noisy climax produces a moderate smile on my face, leaving me thinking: if I'm ever going to try LSD or shrooms (or become a snake charmer), and wanted a track to stimulate my hallucinations, this might be something I'd listen to.
7/10

Danielle: I'm beginning to think that this track is nothing more than a brilliant marketing plan to get people talking about the new album. I mean, why else would MGMT release a track that they claim to be proud of and then apologize for it? I'm baffled. But if, just for a minute, we can manage to separate the song from all the hype around it, we might hear that its actually a pretty entertaining, fun and silly little song.
6.7/10

Linda: FLUTE! That's a flute! Right there at 2:00! And this time it's really a flute and not a piccolo falsely accused of being a flute like on the Gorillaz album (that's a whole different kinda flute, yah know?). Other than that, the song could have easily been copied from an episode of the Muppets, ending in an all too familiar explosion, spare the annoying two old men criticising it.
4.3/10 (3 points for the flute!)

Anna: Odd case of a song that doesn't seem to have a basic backbone, although it should. And when it has something that vaguely resembles one, it sounds really familiar, like a case of deja vu that you can't place. This is a bit of a disoriented mess, but it doesn't feel disoriented in a good way; more like it's trying too hard. MGMT announced some time ago that they won't release any singles off this album, and now it all makes sense to me.
3/10

Craig: Before I heard this song, I didn't really care for MGMT except for a couple of their stand-out hits. I still only like those stand-out hits. This particular song doesn't do much for me at all.
2/10

Jon: Kooky and melancholy, MGMT are growing on me.
7/10

Stef: Luckily this answers the question how Bowie’s whole discography would sound like if it was crammed into 4 ½ minutes and done by inferior musicians. In any case one doesn’t have to wonder anymore why Bowie spaced it out over a plethora of albums (if anyone did, mind you). And there are some nice bits in there, yes, but that doesn’t make me want to listen to it again. Too.Much.Noise.
4/10

Geen opmerkingen: