vrijdag 12 maart 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 25 feb t/m 02 mrt

Our weekly look into the blogopshere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period. This is last week’s period, as technical difficulties on the writer’s site delayed this column.

Track of the week
Ali Love – Love Harder (Prins Thomas remix)
Spaceness by Prins Thomas of course! Who else? None other than the Lindstrom accomplice turns this rather poppy track into a space disco eight minute lovefest. Hips a flailing on that sweet bass, which keeps on coming and coming. Who needs vocals, right? Well they do come in, first kind of high and on the background, but at the half mark (as in, almost precisely the half mark I reckon) they get a more prominent place. This is after you’ve been seduced for a good four minutes by Prins Thomas and his space disco qualities, and after that you’re so into the song that the vocals offer just a bit of variation in this nine minutes behemoth. Prins Thomas makes it pretty easy to start singing along a bit as well. So if you find yourself singing and dancing like a loon, Prins Thomas is to blame, as this is one seductive remix.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1052337/Ali+Love+-+Love+Harder+Prins+Thomas+Diskomiks+


Hurts – Unspoken Love (Fred Falke remix)
Oh gosh, these vocals, so melodramatic aren’t they? I’m so on the fence about this band, it is perhaps a bit too much, and Falke opens with vocals only. He’s got a voice, but it sounds so devoid of… something. It is hard to explain when vocals just don’t do it for you, isn’t it? But these don’t. I reckon that you could compare the singing to that of the bloke from White Lies, so if you’re fine with that you probably will not have the same problem as I have with this one. Vocals do play a huge part in this remix though, so it might just be a make or break really. Fred Falke, ah, well, you know, it is impossible for him to churn out a good, fluent, catchy sound, and he does so here. It is well danceable, and he produces the smoothest remixes. He gives the vocals a very prominent position though, but if you like the vocals you might just think this remix is ace, because the Falke sound does fit in I would reckon.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1034527/HURTS+-+Unspoken+Fred+Falke+Remix+

Black Van – Yearning
Black Van is a new collaboration between Kris Menace and one half of Moonbootica, and I’m especially taken with the former, the latter I don’t know quite as well. I might have to start checking some of his stuff out though, because this track is well nice. It throbs along lovely with that beat, and it is just so lovely to listen to. That beat is the main ingredient of this track, and things come and go. I love it when they stop around the half mark, and obviously it slowly returns to where it left off. This track is just so lovely and easy to listen to. No vocals here, just that lovely beat that just keeps flowing. Looking forward to more from this duo, but this is an exciting start.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1042004/Black+Van+-+Yearning

Vitalic – Second Lives (Mustang remix)
I love Pascal Arbez alias Vitalic. Seen the man twice last year, and both times were ace. Plus last year’s album was one of my personal favourites. This is a single from that album, and it is remixed by the Belgian duo Mustang. At first I thought their take on the song was a bit off. The new elements did not really seem to fit along with the original track. I don’t know if I got used to the sound or if they tweaked their approach as the song progresses, but I really started to like it. Especially that stuff they do around the 4:30 mark, that is well ace and very danceable. Love the guitar at the end as well, I don’t think that’s in the original either.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1046443/Vitalic+-+Second+Lives+Mustang+remix+

Justin Faust – Holdin On (Moullinex remix)
This bounces along quite nicely actually. Love the rolling bass on this, the piano stops, and it is just lovely to listen to really. I feel like I’m repeating myself a bit in this column, but in that aspect it is kind of similar to the Prins Thomas and Fred Falke remixes and the Black Van track in that it just is very fluent and very smooth. I wish the vocals would be a bit more out there, I wouldn’t have mind a bit of traditional disco vocals on this one actually, but other than that just a lovely track to listen to. The stop and go thingy works perfectly for me, and as said, it’s all about the bass on this remix, courtesy of Moullinex.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1052644/Justin+Faust-Holdin+On+%28Moullinex+Remix%29

‘Spanish Sahara’ by Foals
Much ado has been made about this track in the past few weeks, which to especially indicates the popularity of this band. It also means that I’m not going to swing anyone either way, as most people probably already have made up their minds about this track and have listened to it. And since the latter almost surely is the case not much use in telling how the track goes, because you will know most likely. Slow start, then it builds, then it stops, then it builds again, but not into the frenzy of some of their debut albums. To me it was surprising that the songs starts off with actual singing, I never really saw him as a singer and I was more than happy with him spitting out fragmented sentences, modernist style you know? But this isn’t too bad either, more of a narrative lyrically I have the idea, perhaps that is because of the more singing nature of his voice. It is atmospheric though, that is nice, and I do kind of like how this track is drawn up. If nothing else I’m now more intrigued with their upcoming album.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1055186/Foals+-+Spanish+Sahara

Geen opmerkingen: