woensdag 31 maart 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'This Orient' by Foals

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘This Orient’ by Foals (listen here)
Average grade: 6


Jon: Foals are one of those bands who as musicians always sound like they're trying too hard. Hell they probably even sleep with their instruments. This Orient is the same as the real one, over-populated. Let it flow, let it breathe, stop smothering the foal in sickly indie-kid sauce.
5/10

Ilse: I was not very impressed by this track, it’s not bad, but it somehow sounds like Bloc Party and I prefer ‘Spanish Sahara’ by miles. Perhaps it needs to grow on me. Nonetheless, I am still very much looking forward to the rest of the new album, and it better be good because I have tickets for two of their gigs, both outside London, so I demand my love and devotion to this band are answered by some more great songs.
6.8/10

Danielle: I still love Foals, but this song doesn't quite grab me the way nearly every track on Antidotes does. Maybe because the instrumentation isn't as prominent or quirky as I'd expect from them. This doesn't really scream "single" either. If this track didn't have their name on it, I probably wouldn't have given it a second listen. It's not a terrible song, but major points were lost for not meeting my high expectations!
5/10

Linda: 'This Orient' is devoid of the tension build that 'Spanish Sahara' has. It totally misses out on the hooks that were present on tracks like 'Balloons' or 'Cassius'. Not even a tempo change like in 'Two Steps Twice' or some exotic lyrics as the bit of French in 'The French Open'. But nevertheless, it is still Foals and this track has now gotten me more excited for the new album than for the new series of Doctor Who (and I'm as excited about that as your average five year old is about Christmas, birthdays and puppies combined).
8.3/10

Anna: It's a nice pop song, no doubt about that; but it's also repetitive and it dangerously tilts towards a teen anthem (well, for teens with good taste in music, but still). Enjoyable as this song is, I've heard it before.
5/10

Stef: I like listening to this and I do think such a thing is a nice addition to their oeuvre. But I don’t think anyone will ever go, yeah, that Orient Foals song yeah, pretty wicked/innovative/sexy/dancey/smart/rock/etc innit? Not everything has to be the second coming of Dadaism, but the words “fair enough” are not anyone’s main goal, are they?
6/10

Geen opmerkingen: