zaterdag 27 maart 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 17 t/m 23 mrt

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
'Dance Around the Fire' by The Golden Filter

I loooovvee the violins at the start. Those are amazing, it just sets the mood so well. And as this is the opening track of The Golden Filter’s debut that is actually what it has to do really, innit? This song does that amazingly. It also embodies what perhaps is the blueprint of this album, namely half italo/half electro with a slice of disco, and this is all put into a danceable mix with typical italo vocals on top of it. It is a bit of escapism, mystique and all that, but it is also danceable, especially when the song kicks it up slightly around 2:40. I really hope they’re going to be touring Europe soon, ‘cause I would be there even if they would only play this and ‘Solid Gold’. I, for one, simply cannot not check out this album after having heard this lead track.
http://hypem.com/track/1072803/The+Golden+Filter+-+Dance+Around+The+Fire


‘Fembot’ by Robyn
Robyn seems to be a darling pop phenomenon adopted by the indie crowd as how pop should be done, as opposed to other pop stars, who are apparently rubbish. This is somewhat plausible, as in this song you can hear more ideas than in many other pop songs. With that said, I like many pop songs more than I do this one. I don’t like the choppiness of it, I always enjoy a smooth ride more than such a thing. She says that “Fembots have feelings too”, and Robyn takes on one of those favourite allegories where inanimate objects are like human beings. Though Robyn probably will be the last person to proclaim she is trying to emulate Asimov with this one, so that’s all good. I just don’t think the song is that fancy though. I just find it too bumpy a ride to enjoy it as a good slice of pop.
http://hypem.com/track/1067186/Robyn+-+Fembot

'Bulletproof' by Ray Mang feat. Lady Miss Kier
Ah, a good slice of disco/electro, bit Juan MacLeanish at times, but more leaning to the disco side than his songs normally do I would say. Perhaps especially because those vocals and the way the vocal lines go are vastly different than Whang’s and MacLean’s endeavours. Also, the lyrics and that old-school synth thing that always comes after the “I am bulletproof and I won’t wear no ball and chain" line are both fantastic as well as decidedly disco. But the beat/drums/whatever are very dance friendly and wouldn’t feel wrong in an electroset at all. Personally I love this song! Very catchy and exuberant, with a bit of an attitude, and a little bit throwback. And seven minutes isn’t too long at all, not for me at least. I would stay on the dancefloor for its entire duration. There is just enough variation and just enough of the right kind of repetition to keep me there.
http://hypem.com/track/1059411/Ray+Mang+featuring+Lady+Miss+Kier++-+Bulletproof

'Logic' by Operator Please (Woah remix)
Gosh, it has been a while since I last heard anything out of the Operator Please camp. I saw these youngsters once playing in London along with The Go! Team, and quite enjoyed them, but especially for the innocent and no shame pop songs these Australians put forward. I haven’t heard the original one yet, so that still might be true to that sound. I do hope it’s a bit better than this remix. My pet peeve is present again, as the vocals are going U-u-u-up, with that echoey thingy remixers are so fond of but which I can’t stand. The song is made into a brash pop tune, quite catchy, but the vocals somehow ill-fit this song I find for some reason. It kind of tries to be a synth-pop/club friendly/pop song all at once, and some things hit, some things miss. Perhaps I just find this remix not to mesh.
http://hypem.com/track/1072770/Operator+Please-Logic+%28Like+Woah%21+Mix%29

'Taxi from the Airport' by Grovesnor (Radio Edit)
Oh, I actually quite enjoy this one. It is one of those old fashioned thingies, you know? Swift drumming and keys driving this song forward, some piano and guitar lines come and go over them, and I do like those vocals, which I just can’t see annoying anyone. It is one of those things you will find on a road movie starring Tom Hanks or an older Bill Murray or something, or you can have this one on a mixtape when you are touring with your father/son. I just love it, I don’t know why, but it is just really easy on the ear, doesn’t do any crazy stuff, and it just smoothly flows to the end.
http://hypem.com/track/1071068/Grovesnor+-+Taxi+From+The+Airport+Radio+Edit+

'Gay Boy' by Farah
I laughed. Pretty hard, actually. So yeah, sure, Italians Do It Better is a label whose flagship is definitely not in its heyday anymore (the latest Glass Candy track sounded stale and stuck-in-a-rut to me at least), and most bands tied to that label have a particular sound. So Farah as well. And yes, those vocals, they won’t be mistaken for Celine Dion anytime soon. And the subject matter, well, it basically is a lullaby about a girl wanting her best gay friend to turn straight and have sex with her. I was expecting a camped out electro glam stomper, but instead this really is a lullaby, and a pretty funny one at that. The best boys are always gay, no?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vmurAgOIBA

Geen opmerkingen: