maandag 22 maart 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 10 t/m 16 mrt

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
'Haunted Hall' by Rainbow Arabia (We Are The World Happy Ghost remix)
I’m just lo-ving this! And just pretend I said that in like the gayest diva voice. Fa-bu-lous. Something like that. But I’m just surprised by it, I didn’t really think I would love it this much, but I do actually. It really, really has that We Are The World vibe to it, that worldy musical sound, those drums, I don’t know how to describe it really. If you know their track ‘Clay Stones’ you will get the vibe a bit. In the mean time you hear vocals trying to pierce the word “haunted” through the drumming violence. And it does really feel like some sort of menacing army of things are coming at you while you in the mean time hear “haunted” and some other vocal acrobatics swerving around it. Those drums really do it for me, and add to that the rest of the sounds, totally captivating. Yeah, brilliant.
http://hypem.com/track/1066995/Rainbow+Arabia+-+Haunted+Hall+We+Are+The+World+Happy+ghost+remix+


'Terrible Love' by The National
I love The National so much that I’ve decided to ignore all the YouTube live clips of new songs and get this baby on vinyl and then make an event out of the first listen. Of course, that plan formed after hearing this song, the one they debuted on Jimmy Fallon. And naturally I’ve already heard ‘Runaway’, ‘England’, and Vanderlyle, but like– what?—eight unknown isn’t bad, is it? This one starts off quiet and easy, a bit brooding. “It’s a terrible love, and I’m walking with spiders” which apparently is “quiet company”. There are two moments where they kick it up, and the second has more oomph to it than the first, like a good build-up should do I suppose. After the first kick they bring it down again, Berninger repeating that it takes “an ocean not to break” (I’m doing it how I hear it ey, no lyrical sheet here). The “ooooooo” background vocals actually remind me of TV on the Radio a bit, which is another of my favoured indie bands. When the band loses it the second time around, that’s great. And this is the lead-off track, mind, so the rest of the album has something to live up to.
http://hypem.com/track/1068151/The+National+-+Terrible+Love+Live+

'Hold on' by The Vanish (Russ Chimes remix)
Russ Chimes goes clubbing on this one, and I generally like it to sound more smooth than crude, though this isn’t overly crude or anything, though it ain’t a Fred Falke one either. But I rather like the start anyhow, it has a catchy beat and it certainly is danceable I think. Then you have some sort of scratchy echoey voice thingy, which I absolutely abhor, so that kills the track for me. Too many short sounds coming at me too fast after each other, and that always makes my mind go arrrgh. Give me tracks that flow any day of the week, and the bizarre thing is, most of this song does that quite nicely I suppose. From the 3:40 mark I’m liking it again, it is just that middle section that doesn’t really do anything for me, and you can’t cut the middle section out can you?
http://hypem.com/track/1066714/The+Vanish+-+Hold+On+Russ+Chimes+Remix+

'Sleep Paralysist' by Neon Indian
If you know Neon Indian just a bit (and if not, how have you escaped ‘Deadbeat Summer’?) you know what this is going to sound like. A bit of that lo-fi thingy, but also pretty catchy and a bit, well, deadbeat summer like. There is a certain cinematic quality to this, I must admit, especially the chorus seems like something that would perfectly fit in an 80s romantic comedy montage or something, which I kind of like. I do think that his voice is a tad drowsy, as if he just woke up. It is nothing special, not for Neon Indian anyway, but it is a rather loveable lo-fi pop song. I can see myself enjoying this while cycling on a sunny day, despite that the lyrics aren't really smiley happy face like, but when cycling and happily belting out the lyrics it doesn’t really have to be, does it?
http://hypem.com/track/1067977/Neon+Indian+-+Sleep+Paralysist

'Holiday' by Montauk (Justin Faust remix)
It starts off with the repetition of the word “holiday”, which I don’t really find the best of starts as in club remixes I’m not a big fan of such sort a thing. But when it gets dancey after then all’s cool again, and it does. I’m not sure what he’s doing with the vocals in this song (the continuous spelling of the word “holiday” in a strained voice is not aesthetically pleasing to my ears), but at least the tune is nice. It is rather standard fare though, and I can’t find a hook or tune that really captivates me. If I’m in a club hearing this I will dance, but I’m probably not going to give it a spin on my record player at home or put it in my set anytime soon.
http://hypem.com/track/1061695/Montauk+-+Holiday+Justin+Faust+Remix+

'Latin America' by Holy Fuck
I love Holy Fuck. I’ve seen these guys live a couple of times now, and they were just absolutely brilliant. Despite that, I have to add I enjoy them more live than on record. And the same thing goes for this song I suppose. I think with the live energy behind it I could really like this track, but hearing it on record does not really grab me as much as I would hope a Holy Fuck song would do. Perhaps its too loud? I don’t know. I enjoy the build-up of the song though, and I think its pretty neatly written, but I do feel that there is a cacophony of noises that is coming at me, and on my home stereo I’m not sure I can listen to that at any given time. Perhaps if you love that sort of thing more than me then you might find a way to enjoy it with your headphones on as well. For me it kind of loses its appeal which it undoubtedly will have for me live.
http://hypem.com/track/1067876/Holy+Fuck+-+Latin+America


Geen opmerkingen: