maandag 15 maart 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 03 t/m 09 mrt

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Norman’s Fire’ by Jacques Renault

Ah, Jacques Renault, I love Jacques Renault, and if you love Jacques Renault you know this is gonna bit a bit of old fashioned disco. I think this is a mix of his for a new something or another, I kind of lost track of what it is exactly he is releasing, but he’s doing something new and this is kicking that off. Forget the nu vibe of The Golden Filter, this is old school, this is a little guitar riff, a little handclap, and a bit of brass to accompany the vocals, which are not as bombastic as you find with the more popular disco of the ye olden years, still they are unmistakenly throwback. And obviously they are advising us to “Get up, and dance to the music”. That’s the essence of disco, no? He sometimes DJs with Holy Ghost!, so if you like that kind of stuff or perhaps even heard one of their sets you know what to expect. It is a bit understated and not complete euphoric, but that’s what that whole revivalist school there at DFA is going for. With seven minutes it is stretching it a bit, and perhaps the dancefloor might not be alight anymore come minute six or seven, but I’m just loving whatever they’re doing out there, and this is no exception. Gotta love the piano solo around the six minute mark. Old school, eh?
http://hypem.com/track/1050089/Jacques+Renault+-+Norman+s+Fire


‘Hide Me’ by The Golden Filter (Rory Phillips remix)
I was a bit indecisive about the original, not liking it nearly as much as some of The Golden Filter’s other output. And still the lyrics do grate a bit as I don’t find “Hide me, then find me” very impressive poetic wise. But this remix by Rory Phillips I kinda like better. It’s dancey, and it seems to integrate the club and the italo elements a bit better than the original does. I think I remember finding the mixture of those two elements a bit crude in the original mix. Rory Phillips has been on a tear in the last months/year anyway, remixing some of my favourite up-and-comers, and I can see why all that young talent wants him on remix duties. Especially liking the Lo-Fi-Fnkish synth bleeps that come in around the 3:30 mark.
http://hypem.com/track/1060998/The+Golden+Filter+-+Hide+Me+Rory+Phillips+Mix+

‘I Can’t Stand’ by Zola Jesus
First “obstacle” you have to take are the vocals. I use the “” because admittedly, if you don’t find them a problem, they are not an obstacle, but I can imagine that some might find the deep female vocals a bit off putting as they are not really an every day sight. She actually sounds a bit like she from We Are The World on ballad duties, though I don’t think We Are The World are a better known band than Zola Jesus, so you can strike that. But it are these kind of vocals mixed with a sort of clear version of Crystal Stilts. It has the same vibe, but it is less lo-fi, less grainy. And in this case, more ballad like. It is atmospheric, a bit of shoegaze with a bit of a non-electronical Fever Ray vibe (I don’t know if anyone is understanding where I’m driving at, but oh well). I had to get used to it a bit, but now I’m warming up to it, and I can imagine that especially at night or in certain moods this could tick a few boxes.
http://hypem.com/track/1061305/Zola+Jesus+-+I+Can+t+Stand

‘Go Outside’ by Cults
Well, now Pitchfork is over them as well, though I purposely did not read their opinion of this song as I already had it on the list for this column. That start reminds me of something, I can’t for the life of me remember what. Or have I listened to this song so much already that I think I remember it from a more distant past? It is distinctive though, that’s something I cannot deny. I like the instruments, I like the singing, so then we are already on the right track aren’t we? I don’t know if it is a female vocalist put through the mix or if it is a children’s choir, but I do like the effect. The instrumentals are catchy and a bit poppy, though I’m not so fond of the lo-fi vibe it flirts with. But it will get stuck in your head very easily due to the combination of the singing, the simple lyrics, and the understated yet mildly catchy instrumentation. I’m liking it anyway.
http://hypem.com/track/1062047/Cults+-+Go+Outside

'These New Knight' by Ou Est Le Swimmingpool (Jocks remix)
A rather enjoyable albeit pretty by the numbers electro pop remix I would say. Especially the first three minutes are shiny and loveable, but the running time is double that, and because it isn’t really anything special it does lose its edge a bit (or at least, I lost my interest). As I said, it is not too bad, but it doesn’t really have much ups or anything, just a rather standard affair for my ears. It is actually so by the numbers that the stop and consequent spoken word bit almost comes off as a parody, and I’m pretty sure that’s not really what they were aiming for. But no harm no foul I guess, so it’s all right if you are in the mood for just some decent electro pop, especially if you just throw it in a mix to put on while you’re cleaning or something.
http://hypem.com/track/1059313/Ou+Est+Le+Swimming+Pool++-+These+New+Knights+JOCKS+REMIX+

‘Wild Child’ by We Are Enfant Terrible (Chew Lips remix)
Oh my word, this is clubby! I honestly wasn’t expecting this from Chew Lips having listened to their original songs. It’s got a beat though, and some electronic “noise” that runs through as if something is broken. Not too fond of the vocals and how they have a sort of tremble in them, I assume that is from the remix, though if someone can correct me on that I would be happy to accept it. You actually get used to it as it goes on, and I wouldn’t be adverse to it hearing it on the dancefloor before a Bloody Beetroots gig or something else sans subtlety. It isn’t my first love though, and it is not the best one in the genre at that, but it is effective on some level, as it has a beat to dance to. And that perhaps is all that matters with such a song.
http://hypem.com/track/1055254/We+Are+Enfant+Terrible+-+Wild+Child+Chew+Lips+remix+

Geen opmerkingen: